Ad | this post contains affiliate links
Are you throwing a baby shower (or sprinkle) for a friend or family member? It’s a lovely time to come together as a little village to support the family and transition into mother/father/parenthood. The best baby shower gifts are those that are practical, thoughtful or remind the parents that they’re not alone in this journey.
Things to consider when shopping for a new baby:
- Think about the timing. The time of year baby will arrive in. There’s no point in getting a newborn sized pram suit if baby is due in Summer! Instead consider buying out of season items in larger sizes for when the right time of year comes around.
- Check ingredients. Not everything is pregnancy-safe. Whilst in recent years we have come a long way with our understanding of what is and is not safe in pregnancy, there are still some no-nos out there. If you’re buying mum some pamper items, many stores will be able to advise what is and is not safe for the Mama-to-be.
- Include a receipt. See something cute that you fall in love with? Likelihood is, so has someone else. Include a gift receipt so that duplicate gifts can be exchanged. No-one needs 3 bottle sterilisers!
- Wishlist. Go undercover and figure out the things that the family needs, or ask the family to put together a wish list. Websites such as Amazon offer a Baby Gift Registry, that will mark products as purchased to prevent duplicates or unnecessary items being gifted.
We’ve put together a list of our favourite and best baby shower gifts!
- GROWNSY Baby Carrier – Buy now
- BabyBjörn Baby Carrier Mini – Buy now
- Infantino Flip Advanced 4-in-1 Grey Carrier – Buy now
- Bebamour Baby Carrier – Buy now
- Koala Babycare Baby Sling – Buy now
- Nuby Newborn Baby Carrier – Buy now
- Sleepy Wrap Baby Carrier – Buy now
- CUBY Baby Wrap Carrier Half Buckle – Buy now
- Stokke Limas Carrier Flex – Buy now
- CUBY Summer Baby Carrier Infant Mesh Double-Ring – Buy now
A must-have for all newborns to toddlers and beyond. Other than being fantastic at quick clean ups, milk spills and runny nose wipes, larger muslins can be used for swaddling/as light blankets for warmer months and often become snugglies/favourite blankets to snuggle for comfort into toddlerhood.
- LifeTree Baby Muslin Cloths, 4 Pack, 60cmx60cm – Buy now
- Comfy Cubs Muslin Cloths for Baby, 6 layers, 6 Pack – Buy now
- Aloonii 5 Pack Luxury Muslin Squares, 24cmx24cm – Buy now
- aden + anais Musy Squares, 3 Pack, 70cmx70cm – Buy now
The ultimate entertainment that doesn’t take up a huge amount of space, and can be used from the word go. It’s never too early to start reading to baby. Parents can prop books up near their newborn to look at during tummy time, introduce into an eventual bed time routine, and be the centre of lovely family time as little ones grow up.
Maternity PJs & Nightwear
As Mama heads towards the end of her pregnancy, it’s possible that her wardrobe is rather limited. Not wanting to spend money on clothes to fit for a short period of time, receiving a gift of comfy PJs or Loungewear will seem like the most thoughtful gift.
When purchasing for the last month or weeks of pregnancy, consider the fit (oversized or maternity), the fabric (soft textures for sensitive skin, especially if her skin feels dry and irritated from hospital/with hormone changes) and practicality (is she planning on trying to breastfeed? Make sure there’s easy access. And perhaps avoid light colours to hide any leaks).
- HAPPY MAMA Women’s Maternity Hospital Bag Set Delivery Nightie & Robe – Buy now
- Uniexcosm Women’s Maternity Nightdress – Buy now
- CHUNG Women Short Sleeve Nightdress – Buy now
- Topshop Maternity star jacquard piped shirt and trouser pyjama set in black – Buy now
- ASOS DESIGN Maternity viscose leopard long sleeve top & wide leg trouser pyjama set in brown – Buy now
- Mamalicious Maternity nursing strappy pyjama shorts set in sage – Buy now
Subscription for Audiobooks/Podcasts
Gift something that Mum can listen to, hands free, whilst paying attention to her little one. TV and actual books are great, but they require having hands or watching the content. Audiobooks and podcasts are fantastic as they can be listened to during night feeds or whilst going about daily tasks.
Selfcare, selfcare, selfcare. Help the whole family to relax with some lovely aromatherapy candles and items. Just make sure to check the ingredients and that they’re baby safe!
We’re in the era of technology. We have a 137 photos of our newborn between the hours of 5am and 8am. Gift the ability to print those photos and frame them so that the family can enjoy the memories on the daily – without having to scroll.
- Glass Photo Frame – Buy now
- Rustic Picture Photo Frame – Buy now
- Acrylic Photo Frame/Block – Buy now
- White Resin Daisy Photo Frame – Buy now
- Wooden Frame in Oak (50×70 cm) – Buy now
- Grey Floating Glass Frames – Buy now
Whilst every house set up is different, often, nightlights don’t go amiss. Especially in those first few weeks. Try to find red/pink lights that won’t interfere with melatonin production and help the family get back to sleep easily after each wake/bottle prep/nappy change/feed. Both USB and wall plug options are great, and can be used in various parts of the house (also helping to limit sleep deprived, low light injuries as the family navigate a household full of baby items in the darkness).
- 2 Pack Red Automatic LED Night Light – Plug in – Buy now
- Taipow Led Nightlight, Mini Bedside Table Lamp – Buy now
- 2 Pack LED Night Light – Buy now
- Cute Cloud Night Light – Buy now
- Salt Lamp with Dimmer Switch – Buy now
Baby Clothes / Gift Vouchers
In many cases, it takes until well into the weaning stage before baby might start wearing only one change of clothes a day. And then the toddler years hit and you’re back to changing 14 times a day. All that to say, changes of clothes, especially the base layers (bodysuits, onesies, leggings etc.) are hugely appreciated!
When buying baby clothes, consider instead getting the family a voucher to shop for themselves. Families are often gifted a lot of baby clothes, and sometimes don’t get much opportunity to shop themselves/choose what they like. Consider taking Mum out for a spot of retail therapy: it’s also a chance to spend quality time with her before baby arrives.
The best gifts are the ones made by loved ones, with love. Gift hampers, a book of vouchers (for baby sitting, meal making, dog walking, nappy changing etc.), homemade meals/snacks, homemade clothes or nursery decor – all will be hugely appreciated and loved!