WRITTEN BY RACHAEL BLAKEY
It is so important, now more than ever, that we do our bit for the planet! We are fully aware that some swaps are costly & others just don’t fit into your lifestyle, so we thought we would share 8 easy sustainable swaps | kitchen edition.
“WE DON’T NEED A HANDFUL OF PEOPLE DOING ZERO-WASTE PERFECTLY. WE NEED MILLIONS OF PEOPLE DOING IT IMPERFECTLY” – ANNE MARIE BONNEAU
01. REUSABLE STRAWS; We have the stainless steel reusable straws and I love them. Most sets come with a little pouch so you can take a couple out and about with you which I found really handy when out at restaurants or pubs as I am one of those annoying people that just prefers drinking from a straw. You can pick up a set of 8 with a travel pouch AND cleaning brush for £4.99 (link).
02. ECOEGG LAUNDRY EGG; This is a swap that all of us have made on TMC and we are HUGE fans, we recommend them to everyone so it’s only right that they make it into this post! This egg replaces your need for laundry detergent & fabric softener, which dramatically reduces your plastic usage. The egg is reusable and you just need to purchase the refills! We highly recommend the starter kit as it comes with everything you need to get started (link)
03. REUSABLE COFFEE CUP; Probably the easiest switch you can make! You can pick these up from so many places including Home Bargains ect for a couple of pounds. A lot of places will offer you a small discount if you use a reusable cup for your coffee. We have started making hot chocolates for our local walks & taking them out with us in reusable cups!
04. REUSABLE WATER BOTTLE; The same concept but for cold drinks. We have used ours for picnics during the warmer months & the screw tops are my personal favourites as they don’t leak! (link)
05. BEESWAX WRAPS; These are a relatively recent discovery of mine & I am a convert. Such a lovely alternative to cling film and much kinder the planet too! These food wraps are washable, reusable and biodegradable. They also look pretty cute too! (link)
06. LOOSE LEAF TEA; I feel like this is such a old school swap BUT it’s becoming a lot more popular. Did you know tea bags have tiny bits of plastic in them?! All you need is a tea strainer and some lovely teas! You can stick with classic English breakfast tea or why not try a lovely fruit blend?
07. SILICONE BAKING SHEETS; We picked these up at the beginning of lockdown #1 as we started doing lots more baking, as did the rest of the country LOL. They are non-stick and come in a range of different sizes! (link)
08. COMPOST; Another obvious swap but composting your food waste is one of the best swaps you can make! It not only enriches soil but it also reduces the need for chemical fertilizer!
We hope some of these easy sustainable swaps | kitchen ideas have helped! Have you implemented any into your home already?
Keep an eye out for more sustainable swap posts!