BY CAITYLIS ZEALAND
Nesting, my absolute favourite part of both my pregnancies. The stage where your ‘mama bird’ kicks in and all you can think, breathe and do is sort, sort, sort! I found it usually kicked in for me around 30 weeks and probably lasted for about a month (or up until you don’t have the energy anymore!) in both my pregnancies. But boy was it more intense the second time around.
You can usually tell when a pregnant woman is nesting by the state of her home. If it’s looking exceptionally cleaner than usual, or perhaps a bit more organised or maybe you spot her doing the strangest jobs (like when brad caught me scrubbing every single radiator with a toothbrush).
It’s just this instinct that everything must be clean, organised and sorted before the new arrival. Because that Mama knows she ain’t going to have time to be scrubbing radiators for years soon.
So, if you feel like you’ve cleaned every-possible-thing you own, here’s an extra list of things you could do if you’re itching for a little more.
But mama, please rest!
- Strip the sofa cushions and wash them all
- Hoover under cushions and behind the sofa
- Wash any rugs
- Dust and clean blinds
- Clean radiators
- Wipe down skirting boards/coving
- Organise Tupperware
- Organise food cupboards
- Check dates on food produce
- Wash doormats
- Wipe down internal doors and handles
- Antibac light switches and sockets
- Declutter DVD’s and CD’s
- Sort older children’s toys
- Paint over any marked walls
- Wash baby’s clothes, blankets and bedding
- Wash any soft toys for baby
- Dust any light fittings
- Disinfect bin
- Deep clean washing machine
- Descale kettle
- Wipe down cupboard fronts in the kitchen
- Antibac remotes + keyboards
- Fill in a pregnancy journal
- Clean out under beds
- Organise nappy caddies for different rooms of the house
- Make memory on your phone/SD cards for photos
- Install car seat
- Clean bathroom drains
- Dust wall art/photos
- Clean out the car
- Clean the pram if not new
- Set up your co-sleeper crib
- Organise your wardrobe
- Sort the shoe cupboard
- Clean windows
- Antibac bannister
- Descale shower head
- Write out a birth plan
- Batch cook + freeze meals
- Stock up on your favourite snacks
- Clean out fridge/freezer
- Clean oven
- Clean microwave
- Create a budget for maternity leave
- Sort paperwork
- Get maternity photos done
- Get presents for siblings ‘from the baby’
- Pack hospital bags
- Fold baby’s clothes Marie Kondo style
- Buy medicine essentials for baby
- Create a postpartum care kit
- Sterilise bottles/dummies/breast pump
- Set up a baby changing box in the car for emergencies
Let me know what you get done whilst you’re nesting! I enjoyed this stage of pregnancy and I hope you all do too.
Remember there is no need for most of these tasks. If you’d prefer to spend the last stages of your pregnancy with your feet up in front of the television then I wouldn’t blame you!
YOU CAN FIND CAITYLIS ON..
If you would like to collaborate with us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org