CHICKEN HASH WITH EGGSThis hash is made with the leftovers from a roast chicken dinner, so it’s perfect for cheering up a dreary Monday morning.This dish is absolutely packed with protein, veg & healthy fats, with a fraction of the salt that normally comes in traditional savoury breakfasts, because you’re using roast chicken instead of something processed such as bacon or sausages.It’s largely made with leftovers from a roast chicken dinner, so it’s great one to have on a Monday morning. It’s a good idea to make a little extra mash & cabbage to use for this dish the next day.
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 a red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- A handful of cooked potato – you could use mash, squashed roasties, or jacket potato
- A handful of shredded, cooked chicken
- 1-2 eggs per person
- Any leftover greens you’ve got – cabbage works best
- Melt the butter in the oil in a large non-stick pan
- Add the onion and green pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until softened. Then add the crushed garlic and stir.
- Add the potato and chicken, and flatten the mixture with a spatula into a patty.
- Cook over a high heat until crusty on the bottom (about 5 minutes).
- Turn the mixture over and reform into a patty. Cook until browned on the other side (about 3-5 minutes).
- Using the back of a spoon, make some dents in the hash and then crack the eggs into the dents.
- Cover with the lid and cook over medium heat until the egg whites are just set but the yolks are still runny.
- You can top this with grated cheese if you like, and if you want a bit of extra spice – add some jalapenos.